Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Cloud

For the last couple years we have been collaborating with a client that specializes in data security. After the first time we worked with them I had the idea of creating an image that illustrated the concept of "The Cloud". That place where many of us store our data offsite, hoping that we never really have to access it for the purposes of recovering information.

A young woman holding ipad floating on a cloud, representing the concept of the digital cloud and data storage.


I imagined the image the first time we collaborated with them but never really found the right image to use as the background. The idea remained in my head for a year until the last time we visited their secure facilities. There it was, a white room that had yet to be filled with server after server. This was what I had been looking for.

I have always been a firm believer in the pre-visualization process. Creating images that you can see in your mind and interpreting them through the camera the same way they looked in your minds eye. I believe that as a commercial photographer that is one of the major reasons our clients come to us and trust us to put their message forward. Yes, sometimes there are happy accidents that happen during the shoot, but as a professional we are contacted and trusted to deliver results in a consistent basis. We relish in finding opportunities that put this skill to practice and although we do this all the time, we really had fun crafting this image that I had envisioned for quite some time.

Some times I am asked about how some of the images are created, so I wanted to share some of the steps we took to bring this image together. I knew I wanted the file to be the largest size possible, so for the background image I used a tilt/shift lens and shot two images that I planned on stitching together. This would give me a final file size larger that what my camera would achieve in a single frame. The video below shows a progression of how the images were combined.
Hope you enjoy it!



If you would like to view the video directly on youtube please follow the link below:
View in Youtube.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts